Revised August 24, 2018
1. Managing Your Information Preferences
If you would like to change your Personal Information in our records or remove your name from our mailing list, please contact us by:
- sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- calling: 650-369-8282
- writing: Numenta – Personal Information Records, 791 Middlefield Rd, Redwood City, CA 94063
In order to effectively process your request please include your name, mailing or email address, or telephone number which you registered with us. We may need this information to verify your identity for your security.
In addition, you are able to opt out of receiving our email Newsletter and certain other emails from us by using the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of the emails, however, you cannot opt out of receiving all e-mails from us, such as emails about your orders or account.
Finally, although we would appreciate if you contacted us first to find a solution for your concern, if you are in the European Economic Area, you always have the right to lodge a complaint with your competent data protection authority.
2. Information We Collect
Personal Information Collected Through our Website
We may collect Personal Data when you use our Sites. In order to register an account on our open source discussion forum (Forum), contribute to our open source project, or contact us through our Sites, you provide information that personally identifies you, such as your name, address, phone number, mobile phone number, e-mail, payment information, company name and other personally identifiable information that you choose to provide us with or that you choose to include in your account. You may be asked to provide us with Personal Data when you register with the Sites, when you communicate with us, and at other times.
- Registration details. Using registration forms in our contributors license, discussion forum (Forum), newsletter sign-up, contact and feedback forms, we may collect from you your name, surname, email address, mailing address, country of residence, telephone number, whether or not you are a student.
- Feedback data and user-generated content. We may collect relevant information that you share when you provide feedback to us through our Sites or post to our Forum.
- Social media account credentials. When you ask us to post content from our websites or apps to a social network, we may collect your social media account credentials and other information contained in your public post including about our brand.
Collectively we refer to all of this information as “Personal Information.”
Cookies and Anonymous Identifiers
- Essential cookies are necessary for the functioning of services and features on our websites, such as for authentication purposes (to keep track of the fact that you have logged in), and for forms and navigation.
- Performance or analytics cookies collect data that is used in aggregate form to help us understand how the website is being used or how effective our marketing campaigns are, or is used to help us customize the website for you. We use Google Analytics on the Sites to collect Usage Data, to analyze how users use the Sites. Google Analytics collects an anonymous cookie identifier and your IP address (“Usage Data”) information that is not linked to your identifying information. For more information about how to opt out of having your information used by Google Analytics, visit https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/.
- Managing Cookies. You do not have to accept cookies and you may set your browser to restrict their use, and you may delete them after they have been placed on your hard drive or device. If you do not accept cookies, some areas of our Sites may take more time to work, or may not function properly. If you delete cookies set by our Site, our Site will not remember your settings and you may have to log in again. To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set, visit www.aboutcookies.org or www.allaboutcookies.org.
3. How and Why We Use Personal Information
We use Personal Information if it is necessary to for providing a service or product you have requested, or to take steps to provide products or services, or based on our legitimate interests, including to:
- Respond to your comments, feedback, and inquiries;
- Enable interaction through the Forum.
- Enable you to contribute to our open source code (become a Contributor) while protecting Contributors’ rights
- In order to comply with our legal obligations and security of our website, we may also use some of your personal information to detect and prevent illegal uses, abuse, spam, security incidents and other harmful activity or to respond to government, policy inquiries or court orders.
Based on your voluntary consent, we also use your Personal Information to:
- Send our eNewsletters. You can opt-out of these communications at any time using the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of the emails.
- Collect information about the usage of our HTM Studio tool, if you choose to send us feedback or ask a question through the tool.
4. When We May Share Your Personal Information and With Whom
We will not disclose Personal Information to third parties, including for their direct marketing purposes, without your consent, except in the following circumstances.
- Aggregate Data. We may disclose to third parties, certain statistics regarding usage of the Sites. However, the information we share is aggregated and does not identify you individually.
- Compliance with Laws and Law Enforcement. We cooperate with government and law enforcement officials and private parties to enforce and comply with the law. We may disclose personal data and any other information about you to government or law enforcement officials or private parties if, in our discretion, we believe it is necessary or appropriate in order to respond to legal requests (including court orders and subpoenas), to protect the safety, property, or rights of our organization or of any third party, to prevent or stop any illegal, unethical, or legally actionable activity, or to comply with the law.
5. Personal Information You Make Available to Others
By using the Sites you may make certain of your Personal Information available to others. For example, when you post a comment or a photo on our Sites or Forum other users may see your name (first name and last name initial), the city you live in and other information that you choose to make available to others. This means that anyone with access to such information can potentially use it for any purpose, including sending unsolicited communications.
6. How Long We Keep Your Personal Data
We will store your information until you choose to close and delete your account. If you choose to leave the Forum, you can delete your account. We may keep some other records for an extended period of time, including financial and accounting records. In general, we will endeavour to keep data only for as long as is necessary or required by applicable laws. This means that we may delete it when it is no longer needed.
7. Use of MailChimp for our Email Newsletter
8. Notice to California Residents / Your California Privacy Rights
We do not share your Personal Information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes.
9. EU ONLY: Additional Information for Individuals in the European Union or European Economic Area
Numenta, Inc. 791 Middlefield Rd, Redwood City, CA 94063 is the data controller for your personal data under the EU General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (“GDPR”). You have the following rights with respect to your personal data:
- Access your Personal Information and information regarding the processing of that information.
- Request to correct and update the Personal Information we hold on you in case it is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Object to the processing of your Personal Information for direct marketing purposes or to any processing based on our legitimate interest.
- Withdraw your consent at any time where the processing of Personal Information is based on consent.
- Receive Personal Information which you provided to us in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and to transmit those to another provider provided these are processed based on your consent or our contract.
- Submit a complaint with your relevant data protection authority.
To exercise any of your rights, please contact us as explained in Section 1.
We maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect the confidentiality and security of information transmitted to us. However, no data transmission over the Internet or other network can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect information transmitted on or through the Sites, we cannot and do not guarantee the security of any information you transmit on or through the Sites, and you do so at your own risk.
12. Children’s Privacy
The Sites are intended for users who are 16 years old or older. We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under the age of 16. If we become aware that we have inadvertently received Personal Information from a child under the age of 16, we will delete such information from our records.
US ONLY: California users under the age of 18 may request the removal of their content or information publicly posted on the Sites by e-mailing us at email@example.com. Please note that most of the user content that appears on our Sites is stored and controlled by third party providers; thus, complete and comprehensive removal of the content may not be possible.
13. Processing in the United States / International Transfers
We do not transfer data internationally.
Please be aware that NUMENTA, INC. is located in the United States and we process and store all information in the United States. When you provide personal data to us, you transmit that information to the United States. Thus, your Personal Information and communications may be maintained on servers or databases located outside your state, province, or country. The laws in the United States may not be as protective of your privacy as those in your location. If you are outside the European Union or European Economic Area, by using the Sites, you are agreeing to the collection, use, transfer, and disclosure of your Personal Information and communications will be governed by the applicable laws in the United States.