Numenta is applying 18 years of neuroscience discoveries to dramatically increase performance and unlock new capabilities of AI. With a rich understanding of the brain, we create deep learning technology that delivers real value today and opens new possibilities for tomorrow. Our brain-based algorithms, data structures and architectures power our AI platform, which helps decrease time to value, improve model development, accelerate training, and reduce costs and energy consumption.
About the role:
The Vice President of Engineering will be a key member of Numenta’s executive team. As a successful candidate, you will lead our technical strategy and engineering operations. You will be responsible for driving our technical vision, delivering high-quality AI products, and driving the development process with a strong hands-on approach. This position is based in Redwood City, California, and will require going into the office several days per week.
- Develop and implement Numenta’s technical strategy in collaboration with the executive leadership team.
- Lead the engineering department’s operations, ensuring projects align with the company’s strategy and goals.
- Foster a culture of innovation, encouraging the development of new ideas and technical approaches.
- Lead, mentor, and develop a team of engineers, cultivating a driven, high-performing, and agile engineering culture.
- Grow the engineering team to meet evolving business needs.
- Actively manage the development process, including processes that embody a culture of high-quality code.
- Collaborate with the product team to translate product vision into technical requirements and specifications.
- Ensure the successful delivery of our AI products to our enterprise clients, while adhering to high engineering and maintenance standards.
- Participate in the company’s fundraising process.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field; a Master’s degree or higher is preferred.
- Proven leadership experience, with a minimum of 5 years in software engineering management at a director or VP level.
- Proven experience in startup environments, including successful fundraising efforts and scaling engineering teams for growth.
- Extensive experience with AI or Deep Learning.
- A track record of shipping products, with specific experience in developing enterprise products in AI.
- A strong understanding of agile methodologies, technical understanding of products, and up-to-date knowledge of industry standards and best practices.
- Proven track record of managing and executing large projects from start to finish.
- Excellent programming skills with a record of success in developing and deploying high-quality code.
- Exceptional team management skills with a desire to mentor and develop talent.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to align the company around technical vision and strategy.
Must be fully vaccinated and boosted against COVID-19 by date of hire.
- Experience with Transformers and Natural Language Processing.
- Experience with AI hardware architectures.
How To Apply
A note on what we’re looking for: At Numenta, we celebrate diversity and inclusivity. We believe that a variety of perspectives strengthens our ability to innovate and deliver world-class AI solutions. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds and experiences.
Compensation: At Numenta, we offer a competitive salary reflective of the candidate’s expertise. Our compensation package includes full medical, dental, and vacation benefits. We also include a competitive stock option package, ensuring a shared stake in our future success. The base annual salary range for this position for candidates residing in the San Francisco Bay Area is $240,000 to $320,000; exact salary will depend on the candidate’s experience level and fit to the job description.