The Research Group at Numenta is looking for outstanding students for summer 2024 internship opportunities. We are looking for candidates with expertise in Computational Neuroscience, Deep Learning, or Machine Learning.
The commitment is for 3 to 4 months full time (longer appointments up to one year may be possible). Numenta’s research interns will get exposure to the Thousand Brains Theory, participate in leading edge machine intelligence research, and have the opportunity to publish their work.
The position is based in downtown Redwood City, CA.
What You Can Expect to Learn and How You Might Contribute
- The challenges of designing and implementing detailed cortically inspired machine learning models that can be applied to real-world problems.
- Gain experience solving hard problems in domains such as continuous learning and sensorimotor inference.
- Improve your understanding of neuroscience concepts such as cortical columns, dendritic function, thalamocortical circuits, and sensorimotor processing.
- Accelerate neural network architectures through biologically inspired sparse algorithms.
- Improve your software engineering skills.
- Obtain a detailed understanding of the Thousand Brains Theory.
- Period of the internship (typically 3 to 4 months full time).
- Currently enrolled in a MS or PhD program, or a recent graduate, or equivalent research experience.
- Strong research background in machine learning or machine intelligence.
- Excellent algorithmic problem-solving skills, and the ability to implement solutions in Python, C/C++, Java, etc.
- Established track record of publications in leading peer-reviewed conferences and journals.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to work in a team-oriented environment.
- A belief that the best way to build intelligent machines is to understand the cortex.
- Strong research background in computational neuroscience is a plus.
- Working knowledge of Numenta’s papers and algorithms is a plus.
Must be fully vaccinated and boosted against COVID-19 by date of hire.
This is a paid, temporary intern position. The salary ranges from $1,450 to $2,900, paid weekly. The exact salary will depend on the applicant’s academic experience. Since this is a temporary position, other benefits (medical, dental, stock options, housing or travel reimbursements, etc.) are not offered.
How To Apply
Qualified applicants should send the following:
- Cover letter describing their specific interest in Numenta.
- Resume, including list of relevant course work and a link to your github repository or other public code repository that contains code you have worked on.
Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Numenta is an equal opportunity employer supporting workforce diversity.